To improve the health and well-being of Los Angeles County families by creating a new health and human resource services center. The design must promote employee morale and increase interdepartmental connectivity while significantly increasing open space in the city of Van Nuys.
The Design Solution
The Zev Yaroslavsky Family Support Center consolidates seven Los Angeles County health and human services programs into one multi-agency location.
The Center’s 1,000 employees work to enhance the well-being of children and families. Services offered at the Center focus on human health, safety, economic well-being, and workforce readiness.
Combining diverse services in a single campus means that County clients no longer need to schedule multiple appointments in different locations, reducing their time away from work and lessening the stress of managing travel with children. The design also removes silos between caseworkers, resulting in more efficient and effective delivery of client services.
The Design Impact
Empathy and imagination drove the County of Los Angeles to envision bold institutional change in its highly qualitative and progressive program for the new Zev Yaroslavsky Family Support Center in the San Fernando Valley of California.
Together with our client, HKS set out to transform an institutional environment that serves the most fragile of its constituents by providing an inspiring, supportive and respectful environment for those seeking support, as well as those providing it.
Our design reflects a modern, forward-looking civic institution intent on projecting a transparent, welcoming impression. The award-winning, sustainable design inspires community pride and achieved LEED Gold NC certification.
- LEED NC Gold-certified
- Walking paths
- Community garden & playground
- Outdoor balconies
- Public art
- Green wall
- Bicycle storage
- 2017 Los Angeles Business Journal, Commercial Real Estate Gold Award
- 2016 American Public Works Association Southern California Chapter, BEST Award (Building Excellence Shaping Tomorrow), Regional Building
- 2016 Design-Build Institute of America, Western Pacific Region Combined Regional Excellence & Design Excellence Award
- 2016 Engineering News Record California, Best Project, Southern California – Government/Public Buildings
- 2016 San Fernando Valley Business Journal, Commercial Real Estate Award
- 2016 Design-Build Institute of America, National Award of Excellence, Commercial Office Buildings
- 2016 Design-Build Institute of America, National Award of Merit, Commercial Office Buildings
- 2016 Construction Management Association of America Southern California Chapter, Design Quality Partner Award
- 2016 Construction Management Association of America, Southern California Chapter, Project of the Year
- 2016 IIDA Southern California Chapter, Calibre Award
- 2015 Design-Build Institute of America, Western Pacific Region Design Excellence Award
- 2015 AIA San Fernando Valley Chapter, AIA Citation Award
- 2014 AIA San Fernando Valley Chapter AIA Citation Award, Unbuilt Category